Drone Pilot Files Lawsuit Against North Carolina Board of Surveyors After It Threatens Him with Jail Time, Fines for Taking Aerial Photos

Zacc Dukowitz

28 minutes ago, snowshoesurveyor said:

The problem with the original scenario, is that  we do not know the back story. It seems to me there must of been something that happened that triggered a complaint. Then after an investigation a letter is sent.  That is the missing information that is vital to making a judgement.

True.  In the N. Carolina case, we don't know the backstory of why the board went after this operator.

29 minutes ago, snowshoesurveyor said:

But there are rules and limits that need to be adhered to. In the case of drone photography/surveying, the rules need better definition or we need to understand there will be these types of issues.

Yes. One of the problems is that the law rarely keeps up with technology.  Ten years ago, it wasn't so easy (or cheap) to get photogrammetry derived products so the issue was moot.  Now, we have survey boards seeing their potential customers using less expensive (and un-certified) products and they don't like it.  Which is totally understandable.  The point though is if the customer is being harmed.  Not that the surveyor may be loosing revenue. The market and the courts will have to figure it out.  I do notice that state survey boards don't seem to have the appetite to take on the likes of Google over these issues.  And as mentioned in the lawsuit, Google, and others, provide topographic data without being licensed.

3 hours ago, snowshoesurveyor said:

I would recommennd that if you are interested in doing that type of work, find a local surveyor to work with. You will find we are not such bad folks.

Well, surveyors are people.  Some are approachable and some are not.  I've encountered both.

4 minutes ago, Dave Pitman said:

True.  In the N. Carolina case, we don't know the backstory of why the board went after this operator.

Yes. One of the problems is that the law rarely keeps up with technology.  Ten years ago, it wasn't so easy (or cheap) to get photogrammetry derived products so the issue was moot.  Now, we have survey boards seeing their potential customers using less expensive (and un-certified) products and they don't like it.  Which is totally understandable.  The point though is if the customer is being harmed.  Not that the surveyor may be loosing revenue. The market and the courts will have to figure it out.  I do notice that state survey boards don't seem to have the appetite to take on the likes of Google over these issues.  And as mentioned in the lawsuit, Google, and others, provide topographic data without being licensed.

Well, surveyors are people.  Some are approachable and some are not.  I've encountered both.

Excellent point - we don't know the other side of the story.  However, we all have a bigger issue with Senator Lee of Utah that wants to have local municipalities, cities, towns, counties take over the 0-200 feet of National Air Space control.  Thus my belief that the N.C. Board of Surveyors likely has no clue what they are going after as will be the same with local municipalities, cities, towns, etc.. if Senator Lee of Utah is allowed to continue down the yellow brick road....