Specific Operations Risk Assessment (SORA)

Have you heard about the term SORA of late in the Drone Industry? Is this something that has become part of your Commercial Drone Operation where you based? Interested to get any related feedback thanks.

Extract from EASA re: SORA `The Specific Operations Risk Assessment (SORA) is a novel approach on how to safely create, evaluate and conduct an Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS) operation. It focuses on assigning to a UAS-operation two classes of risk, a ground risk class (GRC) and an air risk class (ARC). `

Currently in Italy there is a lot of talk about SORA and SAIL (an index to calculate the risk that uses this type of methodology) however the Authority has not yet made it clear how an operator should declare this risk analysis. Where do you write from?

Hi Tony, thanks for your information. I am writing w.r.t. RPAS operations in South Africa where the Regulatory Offices are focusing on Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) and not SORA as yet. I deal with these type of Commercial applications frequently as a Consultant on behalf of Clients, so have started incorporating EASA processes, with reference to SORA specifically, into the SOP which also captures the information pertaining to Concept of Operations. Although the developed Risk Assessment content and outcome does not directly align with the SAIL that you have made reference to, it nevertheless can serve as a reliable guideline for all commercial drone work based on positive research. In addition to this, I also believe that the concept of SORA is unique in that it identifies both ground and air risks in advance of any Mission, so it is definitely worth migrating towards for any Operator who intends to operate their Drone business in the safest manner possible.