New to drones but have been performing Commercial Real Estate photography for over a decade in Nevada, Arizona, California, Washington and Alaska.  Recently purchased a Phantom 3 Pro, and have been getting my 'feet wet' so to speak.  Never had any type of aviation certification from the Feds, though back in the day, as an enlisted man, I had my Air Crew wings in the Navy. Also, never piloted a craft until now, but sure jumped/rappelled out of more than enough perfectly good craft to know what not to do, and we all spent our time playing the Flight Sims when they first came out.   I want to add aerial photography of property to my arsenal.  Would love to do bazillon $$$$ homes and make bank, but we know how small those odds are.  My goal for the next 6 months, to prepare for the FAA test to get my commercial UAV license.  In the interim would like to know as much about these craft as I can, and thought this might be an excellent resource. Who knows, maybe the training aspect will become a more viable, and less worrysome alternative, only time will tell.

P3P.jpg

Welcome @Xtlman! You've come to a good place to learn your craft.  Assuming you have a good rep among your real estate customers, that will give you a huge leg up in adding aerial work to your services.  And the P3P is a great choice for doing the kind of work you envision.  But there's a lot of really terrible aerial work out there.  Here's an example I copied off Craigslist:

00k0k_isoTtcmkSAw_600x450.jpg

Nobody is going to pay you to take a picture of the roof of a house, and you need to separate yourself from the "any stiff with a quad can do real estate photography" school of thought. Take your time; learn to fly (very easy with a P3P), and use what you already know about real estate work.  I've found  that the single most important tool for developing business is to have a portfolio that demonstrates why your customers would want to hire you to shoot from the air.  Here's what I use:  https://get.google.com/albumarchive/109637455188819521959/album/AF1QipN_YW0MBA4cO1rmICQSm2xZKNB2U_j_TEBWC24r/AF1QipMsUXWa_iMW49WNKHxNzjTKVTbK9tIyb5dxc-Gv?authKey=CMmPj-7Sw-P-fA.  And don't think that "bazillion dollar" properties are out of your reach.  Quite to the contrary.  When a real estate agent represents one of those big buck McMansions, he/she has to go the extra mile to convince the property owner that everything possible is being done to sell that turkey, and the larger the commission is going to be, the more willing the agent will be to drop some of the hard earned on your services.  My current record is $12.5 mil, and I'm looking at a job that could beat it.

• Like 1

I have even heard of them doing stills of the interiors with the drone being hand-held or set on a counter.  There is no substitute for talent or mucho experience when it comes to getting the most out of a property.  It really comes down to planning and preparation and visualizing the shot long before camera or drone comes out of the bag.  For me personally, I require a pre-shoot meeting just to nail down the final details, and I need to know what type of lighting I might need to add.  For apartments, i can typically get by with what is in my Go Bag.  I like the idea of being able to provide stills and say 1=3 minutes of video.  An even 3 minutes is wayyyy to long unless there is just a lot of subject material to fly.  Am getting ready to try the Litchi software which should really elevate the quality of aerial videos...

17 hours ago, Xtlman said:

I have even heard of them doing stills of the interiors with the drone being hand-held or set on a counter.  There is no substitute for talent or mucho experience when it comes to getting the most out of a property.  It really comes down to planning and preparation and visualizing the shot long before camera or drone comes out of the bag.  For me personally, I require a pre-shoot meeting just to nail down the final details, and I need to know what type of lighting I might need to add.  For apartments, i can typically get by with what is in my Go Bag.  I like the idea of being able to provide stills and say 1=3 minutes of video.  An even 3 minutes is wayyyy to long unless there is just a lot of subject material to fly.  Am getting ready to try the Litchi software which should really elevate the quality of aerial videos...

@Xtlman Take a look at this post in the real estate section: 

This guy is using his drone as a steadi-cam, and the results are pretty good.  I don't know that I'd try to use it for stills, but I guess you could do worse.

• Like 1

@Alan Perlman Probably going to have to be next year....CFO and Big Boss said I had already spent my allowance on Photoshop World, and one world was enough this year......lol.  Hey, at least I was not in the dog house (literally as we have a BIG dog) for plunking down a grand on the drone and stuff :D.  I appreciate the heads-up.  Thanks.