Sid Tabak

Certification + Training Requirements

Hi There, I am a Canadian photographer and bought a DJI 4 last week. I am teaching myself to fly and having a great time. Do you need drone training and certification in order to market yourself as a drone photographer (video & stills)so you can sell your services for private commissions? What happens if I work in the USA?

Thanks 

Sid

I'm in the same boat--new Phantom 4 and learning about regs.  You must register your drone with the FAA and then buy stickers to put on the drone stating it is registered.  Commercial license appears much tougher.  Must fill out application and get approved.  As you are Canadian it may complicate the process.  Not sure.  Visit FAA website and try to make sense of it.  It's not real clear in parts.

@Doug Baker no need for blaming. The rules are being welcomed across the board. They're more sensible and streamlined when compared to the Section 333 Exemption. Most people are pretty stoked about Part 107.

So in the U.S., here's a brief summary of the rules: http://uavcoach.com/drone-certification

In Canada, Transport Canada has their own rules: https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/opssvs/getting-permission-fly-drone.html

Thanks, Alan.  I'm really not bitching about the registration and intend to be 100% compliant, possibly even looking into a commercial license.  It's just a knee jerk reaction to blame Obama for everything. :)