Doug Baker

Best way to correct a diagonal horizon line

Hey, this probably a super noob question but I got my first drone last week, a Phantom 4 and I am loving it.  (I've actually been involved with RC since the 1980s so not totally green)

I've been  noticing that when I reach around 300ft alt and pan the camera up to the horizon line that it is very pitched.  It has happened in everything I have shot so far.  When doing straight down overhead shots it isn't noticeable and when the drone is in forward flight it seems to straighten out.  If I hover at altitude and do a slow 360 pan of the horizon, it wonks to the right.

Is this a gimble trim setting that I need to address?  Thanks!

• Like 1

I should probably also mention that when I first set the drone to setup I didn't take the camera travel brace off of the camera so the little gimble motors were clicking against resistance for a few seconds.  Don't know if that would effect anything.

Hey @Doug Baker

Sorry for being late to the party i have been out of town.  There is a Gimbal trim (or in this case i believe it will be labeled roll) in the settings in the upper right hand corner of the app if you go through the gimbal menu you should see an option to control the roll of the camera. You will want to make sure the drone is on a level surface and that you have a level line the camera can see as well (either draw a line with a level or use a laser), than adjust until the camera looks level with that level line.

Hey Scott, thanks for the reply.  I did some more research at DJI, watched some videos and recalibrated the gimble.  I took it up last night for some sunset fun and it looked much improved but still not quite where I want it.  I will try your method today and see if I can't get her to fly right.  Shooting a riding stable tomorrow if the weather cooperates.  Should be fun.