Anti-collision lights

I am considering adding anti-collision lights to my home built UAV in order to meet the Part 107 requirements for flying during the civil twilight period and as they need to be visible up to 3 statute miles does anyone know what sort of LEDs and wattage to use?.

Edited by Spitfire76

:)

I must admit I do like the idea of a standalone device as there is no need for any wiring. I thought that attaching it to one leg of the retractable landing gear of my UAV would also help with orientation. 

Edited by Spitfire76
  • 2 weeks later...

@Spitfire76 Ok here we go. I know the other ones doesn't use any system power, are easy to take off, and charge by USB. However take a look at this.  https://www.birds-eye-view.nl/shop/parts/electronic-components/anti-collision-lights-complete-kit/

Since I am building what I call now Big Bird "Ranger Ex" I have the size, storage, and power to add this light kit.

Hey, if we are UAV pilots and our craft follows requirements from FAA why not light it up as such. :)

This weekend I will start assembly. I will post it on the other post.

• Like 1

@Spitfire76    Well I am looking at two power sources for Big Bird "moter/nav electronics, and video/electronics". I guess I will add another one for Nav Lights.  What do you think?

Since the specs for the kit is 

• Input voltage: 8-36 Vdc
  • Current: approx 50mAh

It wouldn't hurt to have a low MAH 4S just for the lights. I do not want to use up the motor/nav power on lights. That is if I use the whole kit and hook up all of the lights.

Your right 4S would of be over kill.  I was mostly looking at the voltage range 8-36vdc, however using low current mAH.

For testing I can go down 3S to see how well it lights.  I have sent them an email to see what batteries they recommend, also to find the specs of the Teflon cable they mentioned.

• 10 months later...

@Spitfire76 I use the cree ones, we tested over 3 miles. One easy test is to look out a plane window, most people have a 40-100 watt bulb on their front porch, you can see it from jet liners flight levels. I bought the white and stick it right on top. 

https://mdpair.com/shop/strobon-cree-standalone-battery-operated-3-mile-visibility-strobe-light-drones-like-phantom-inspire-mavic/

I'll have a video of it soon. 

• Like 1