Franklin

Pricing for Real Estate Photography

Any suggestions, on what people are charging for their services.  I have everything in place, but that is the one thing i have not figured out.

Thanks

• Like 1

Hi Franklin, what are you flying? Where are you located? What kind of background do you have in real estate? Do you have a website? What kind of clients will you be flying for? What will your finished product look like?

I think this thread can be a good exercise in how to figure out your pricing. Let's break it down by having you provide some more details about what you're thinking first. Help us to help you!

• Like 4

I'm flying the Phantom 3 Pro.  I'm located in North Texas.  I have no background in real estate.  Just thought that would be a good market to get started with.  No website yet.  I have been working on a portfolio of pictures and video's.  I'm filling my 333 exemption tomorrow.  I have formed OneDrone, LLC.  I'm planning to start knocking on doors next month.  I saw my first drone about 3 years ago, It had me hooked.  So this year i finally took the plunge and decided to go all in.  

• Like 1

Hi Franklin, thinking about what you've been able to put together so far re: pictures and videos, what do you see your end product looking like? Have you looked at other aerial service companies in the city / state to see what their service packages look like? I'm not talking about price...I'm talking about quality, and what the deliverables are for the client.

There are 101 different ways to offer value to a RE broker with aerial photos / videos, just want to get a sense of what you're thinking and where you think you fit into the local market.

Do you also plan to get liability insurance? Do you have any background in photography / videography? Will you be doing the post-processing yourself?

As you can see, a lot of questions. Pricing a service like this is all about value exchange and striking a balance between 1) what the client is willing to pay and 2) what value/experience/professionalism/end-product you bring to the table.

• Like 4

Pricing, to a very large extent, will depend on the price of the properties you're shooting.  A real estate agent will be a lot more likely to spend marketing money on a multi million dollar estate than a $250 K tract home. If you're just starting out I'd suggest speaking to one or more local agents - preferably agents who specialize in large, high end properties.  I find that I get a lot more requests for still images than video because the websites local agents use most, the MLS & realtor.com, do not host video, though that may be different in your area.  It's also important for you to understand what advantages aerial photography brings to real estate marketing.  Basically there's no reason to do aerials for an unassuming Cape Cod on a a quarter acre lot.  I'm attaching conventional and aerial pictures of a nice colonial I shot last fall that, I think, show the advantage of aerial photography.  Having said all that I'll tell you that I charge $250 for aerial still photography, $150 if I'm also doing conventional photography as I save travel time.I charge by the day for video work.  $400 for a half day, $750 for a full day.  Post production is much harder for video, at least for me.  I wish I could charge more, but I think I'm preAerialFront0002.thumb.jpg.96888d8af724b9Money9010006.thumb.jpg.692de66d96de6d9a6tty close to what the market will bear. 

• Like 15

hey Franklin im also interested in doing the same , I was in the military before and flying one of these drones is awesome , being a pilot without actually flying is great , I have a page that you can look at , im very interested in getting in the market as well learning just like you , maybe we can help each other out , good luck and fly safe. www.facebook.com/HAP1984

• Like 3

I have a similar interest as Franklin. A Little background may help: At one point I held a Real Estate Brokers license and made/still have several good contacts. I also hold an FAA license to fly airplanes and helicopters (SEL - private). My father was a professional photographer for most of his life - I started learning how to use   a manual Nikkormat' and an F2 (both black bodies - 35 mm) by the time I was 10 and assisted on countless weddings, family photo shoots, etc. I currently work for a telecom and really enjoy it. However I want to persue this hobby professionally as side work and am also looking for any tips/helpful information.

Where I' am in all this: I have a name reserved with the State of MN for incorporation as an LLC, have researched and am in the process if filing for the FAA part 333 exemption. I have contacted the State officials an the Dept. Of transportation to clarify insurance requirements for commercial operations (that is an interesting one) and have reserved a URL web address. Im currently persuing my real estate contacts with stills/video of my home as an example (operating a Yuneec 4k). I have a great web designer in line and she has lots of great questions and suggestions as well. 

So...any additional information about pricing - 1/2 and full day; stills vs. video etc. Perhaps some web URS's if anyone has some good examples? Thank you ALL again!

• Like 2

Jon,

Real estate agents, or at least the ones I deal with, often have trouble grasping the advantage of shooting their listings from the air, especially as aerial photography will increase their marketing cost.  And as I'm sure you know, that money comes out of their pockets, and it can be 6 months or more until they see a return. It's important to be selective about which properties to shoot from the air.  Some are easy to figure, like waterfront properties, but for some it's not so obvious. I put together this portfolio in an effort to demonstrate the advantage of aerial work - https://picasaweb.google.com/silkpursepro/AerialPortfolio?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCMmPj-7Sw-P-fA&feat=directlink.

I do mostly residential work, but I think commercial properties like office buildings or strip malls are natural candidates for aerial work.  It's a part of my business I'm trying to expand.

Keep in mind that photography from a UAV will cost the agent roughly a tenth of what renting a manned helicopter for an hour would cost.

• Like 5

We have created a unique structure for how we charge for real estate photography and videos, which is based on square footage of home (as well as any other living space such as guest house), property size and value of listing price. Although we've been told over and over by our real estate clients that we aren't charging nearly enough compared to what everyone else is charging, we have more work than we even know what to do with...hence the rapid expansion from 56 offices in 2015 to 260 by the end of 2018. The infrastructure of having a team of video editors on board has allowed for our franchise owners that are shooting photos and videos to do just that and not have to worry about learning how to edit.

Although we shoot real estate videos, that is only a small portion of what we do. We utilize aerial video for a great number of our clients that we build and manage their websites and perform internet marketing services for, such as wake boarding videos, social media campaigns, brand marketing and commercials for businesses, tourism, weddings, construction companies, building inspections, and government contracts with fish & game, transportation departments, etc. The possibilities and potential are endless and more and more have become a big part of our business.

• Like 4

On 1/26/2016 at 1:42 PM, jsmq said:

hey Franklin im also interested in doing the same , I was in the military before and flying one of these drones is awesome , being a pilot without actually flying is great , I have a page that you can look at , im very interested in getting in the market as well learning just like you , maybe we can help each other out , good luck and fly safe. www.facebook.com/HAP1984

Nice photos! Just liked a bunch of them from our Hair Care Company "Hair 180, LLC"

On 6/9/2016 at 3:17 PM, PXL Media Studios said:

Here's a link to the PXL Media Studios real estate video show reel -

Now this is a production! Your footage in post "Must" reflect perfection! Otherwise how can you command top dollar. Great job guys!

• Like 1

There are some great comments here. I too recently started a real estate video company in Florida. Because I have thirty years in the business, many aspects of this are second nature such as editing, sound mixing etc. Pricing has been an issue for me. I have started out by offering low prices. My thought is that I will raise my prices when my schedule is full. You can see my website at stageshootandsell.com         stageshootandsell.com

For something like this http://tours.bluelavamedia.com/469165

we get close to $500. That's for our largest real estate photography package and our large aerial drone package.  I believe they also purchased our Media Exposure Engine and single property website.  For drone only we charge about $260 and if they get a photo package for their property we charge $150 unless they need a lot of footage like the one above.

Hope that helps!

• Like 3

I do photography, drone and walk-throughs for real-estate. Prices for the 3, which I call the trifecta, is around $350 in the market I'm in. I also break it down. $70 for photos, $150 drone only and $200 walk-through only. Do the trifecta and get a discount as I'm already there:) It's been generating a good interest. It's production from start to finish. I use Final Cut Pro to edit. UAG pilot - It's huge that you do that. It really gives your company significant credibility as it should. That test isn't easy! Here are some examples...https://vimeo.com/uphighproductions

• Like 2

I'm biased and will recommend our training program over at http://dronepilotgroundschool, but there are many ways to study. Other online courses like ours. Workbooks you can buy. Apps you can buy on your phone. The FAA has free study materials as well:

• Like 3

Alan the video above is the one I talked about on the phone. please share any advice. Thanks Jerry Kinard

www.zoomin-UAV.com             

14 minutes ago, Zoomin-UAV said:

Franklin I too am just getting started with real estate aerial videos. Here is one of my first projects.PzYKXK0UCb8

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Zoomin-UAV said:

Alan the video above is the one I talked about on the phone. please share any advice. Thanks Jerry Kinard

www.zoomin-UAV.com             

Nicely done sir!

• Like 1